Absolutely Perfect Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Vegan Alfredo Sauce! What to put it on? EVERYTHING!
Alfredo is something that we crave a lot, but its been horrible since we removed dairy from our diet. Dairy products just don’t agree with us and even though we miss them, we are trying to be somewhat healthy here!
So after I got back into cooking meals for us, I had this idea. If we have made vegan cheese, why can I not just make vegan alfredo?
So we did it, we made a delicious vegan alfredo sauce. I was extremely surprised how similar to non-vegan alfredo sauce it tasted. This might just be a sauce we make and freeze for those days where our cravings get the best of us.
I cooked some onions and garlic on the stove until they were soft, add them and all the dry ingredients to my Food Processor and mixed it into an alfredo sauce. It tasted and looked a lot more complicated.
Soaking the Cashews:
Make sure that you soak the cashews atleast 4-6 hours.
I usually rinse then in hot water then let them rest in the water for 6 hours at a minimum.
I tend to change the water every few hours but its not necessary. The longer you soak the cashews the creamier the sauce will be.
Can you freeze vegan alfredo sauce?
You can freeze vegan alfredo sauce, but I tend to hate freezing it once its a complete meal.
My suggestion is to portion the alfredo sauce into smaller single meal portions and only thaw what you need and cook fresh pasta. It helps the meal feel not frozen.
If you do freeze it with the pasta make sure to mix it well to reduce any water that sits at the bottom of the container, its water that has come from other ingredients in the meal.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Whole White Onion Diced
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Unsalted Cashews Soaked for 12 Hours
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt/Pepper
- 3 Teaspoons Nutritional Yeast
- Add the minced garlic, white onions and 1 cup of vegetable broth to a sauce pan. Bring to a light boil and reduce to simmer until onions become soft and there is very little liquid remaining.
- Add the cooked mixture of garlic and onions to a food processor.
- Add your black pepper salt, lemon juice, cashews, and nutritional yeast to the food processor.
- Blend up the ingredients until you get an alfredo paste.
- Add your blended mixture and the remaining cup of vegetable broth back to your sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook until it thickens to the consistency you are looking for! Make sure to stir to avoid burning!
- I like our sauce to be a little thick, some people like a sauce to spread on the plate. Its completely up to you.